Thursday, January 20, 2011

Menu Options

When I go to a restaurant, I usually look at the menu and order from that.  I do the same thing in places that have posted menus (as opposed to the ones you can hold).  Apparently that rule does not apply in ice cream shops. 

People walk right up to our ice cream cabinet (where are the flavors are displayed) and without glancing start ordering things we do not offer: Lemon ice cream, orange sherbert, black walnut, pistachio, pralines and cream...and the list continues.  I'm just dumbfounded that they order flavors we don't even HAVE!

And then there's confusion about other flavors like mint chocolate chip, cookie dough ice cream, or cookies and cream.  We don't have those flavors on display because we can mix them.  In other words, if you want mint chocolate chip, we can mix chocolate chips into mint ice cream.  If you want cookies and cream, we can mix oreos into sweet cream ice cream.  And so on.  For some reason this is terribly confusing for customers.   I had a boy say he wanted Snickers ice cream.  I said, "We don't have Snickers ice cream, but we can mix Snickers into any ice cream.  What flavor would you like?"  "I WANT SNICKERS ICE CREAM!"  "Ok, but do you want the Snickers in vanilla, chocolate...."  Don't worry, we got the Snickers drama resolved.  I've had people refuse to eat our ice cream because we didn't have cookies and cream.  I explained to the customer at least twice that we could mix oreos into any flavor and it would be just like cookies and cream.  I guess he didn't believe me because he just pouted and walked out.

And then we get people asking for scoops of what's on the menu.  If you've ever been to those ice cream stores where they mix stuff into the ice cream, they usually have suggestions on the board.  They mix ingredients into the ice cream; they don't have pans of it laying around!  At least they order from the menu board.

So the next time you go to a burger place, don't order sushi!

No comments:

Post a Comment