Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Acclimate, I think not

I'm a fast learner, and I can gain ground in a new work environment rather quickly.  Heck, for this job I received 4 days of training and then I was put in the manager position (without having any prior ice cream experience).  But there is one thing I can not grow accustom to: rude people.  I've never worked a job with so many rude people, not even when I did some part-time telemarketing!  These customers simply treat me and my staff like machines and think they are better than we are because they are on the other side of the counter.  It's quite ridiculous.

Here's what sparked this post:  a gentleman called in an order yesterday.  Since it was a rainy Monday, we were rather slow.  When the suit and tie came in to pick up his order he said, "You guys been slow today?"  "Yeah, a little."  "I bet the boss-man won't be happy about that."  To which I replied, "Well, I'm the boss so..." 
Here's where we need a little info: the owner of the store, let's call him Mr. Tom, lives 3 hours away.  And I'm the one who is here at the store 40+ hours, making sure things are running smoothly.  I make most of the operational decisions, not to mention I am in the process of trying to buy the business.  That being said, you can understand my feelings to his retort.

"Are you sure Mr. Tom, isn't the boss?"  As if he were trying to put me in my place.  I responded, "Well I'm the manager, I run the place.  He's the owner.   We all have someone to answer to.  Besides, Mr. Tom has told me on several occasions to tell people that I AM the owner (since I am in the process of becoming the owner)."  "He just tells you that so people don't call HIM."  He said with a smirk, again trying to put me in my place.  "You have a great day."  Jerk.

Let's not forget the one-word command people.  The ones who say, "Napkins" or after you've said, "Hi, how are you?"  they respond with "Vanilla."  I'm so tempted to repond with, "Oh, you would like to know where the napkins are located?" or "Oh, you were interested in ordering some vanilla today?"  Seriously people, we are human beings.  You are not texting, you are face-to-face with another person.  Please use complete sentences and use your manners.

And then there are the people who simply refuse to read or take any proactive role in gathering info.  Case in point:  yesterday, while I was working in the back, a rather large woman came in and sat down at one of our tables near the door.  I went out to the front and asked her if there was anything I could get her.  "I'm looking for that new cupcake place.  Someone told me it was next to you."  "Well, it's actually down the strip" as I pointed in the direction.  "Well they told me it's next to you."  Since it isn't, "It's just a few doors down to your left."  "How far is it?"  "You can walk from here, it's less than a block."  Huffing and puffing she said, "No, I can't walk down there."  Ok, you have a great day.  Why she didn't just drive until she found it in our strip is beyond me.  We are sandwiched between an Army recruiting office and a Catherine's store, so the cupcake place is obviously not next to us!

People just don't want to read or listen.  And they think because they are the customer, they can be rude and receive kind treatment in return.  It is very draining to be kind to rude people for 40+ hours a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment