Friday, December 31, 2010

Rebellious Freezers of the world Unite!

The end of 2010 is upon us.  And it would be nice to end the year on an up note; and one would assume that with a job as "easy" as mine that the up note would be a given.  Alas, 2010 was not a smooth ending.  Let me tell you what an "easy" job looks like:

The store opens at 11am, and I usually arrive at 9am, to give me time to prep the store and begin production of cakes, ice cream, etc.  This morning was as usual.  I was opening the store, and noticed a few flavors were missing from the dip cabinet.  I went to the freezer in the back to retrieve the missing flavors only to find they were soft and melty.  Ok, maybe they were made last night and weren't completely frozen.  But just to be sure, I started checking all the flavors in the freezer.  All of them were melted.  56 gallons of ice cream soft and un-servable.  Great start to my morning. 

The freezer had been acting up, the temp kicking up every now and then.  I told the shift leader if the temperature did not come back down to call me.  He did not, and now I had 56 gallons of ice cream soup on my hands. 

I still did not have the store ready for opening, so I did my best to get through that and think of a way to solve my "soup" problem.  I notified the owner via text and kept going.  I decided to shove all the ice cream from the melting freezer to the solid freezer and keep plugging away.  I had a Tweety cake to decorate that was due today.  The owner was texting me asking if I had contacted the freezer guys, but I was a little busy trying to finish that cake.  Then a shift leader let me know she was sick and couldn't come in and another employee called to check their schedule, a woman called to see if we had Star Wars cakes, and this all happened at the same time.  It was constant hustle and bustle.  Not to mention the rest of the day was busy as well. 

But people don't think about what happens before they walk in the door.  All they know is what they want and they want it now.  So here's to all the work that goes on before you open the door.  Here's to a new year!

1 comment:

  1. I don't think that there's anything much worse than a malfunctioning freezer--clogged drains included. Those things are SO arbitrary and still remain a complete mystery to me.

    What a day! When it rains, it ALWAYS pours. Here's to a prosperous, fun, and an un-frazzled 2011. :)

    ReplyDelete