Thursday, December 30, 2010

Maternal Manager

When people find out I'm married, the typical follow-up question is, "Do you have any kids?"  Now I've started responding, "Yes, I have 10.  They are all high-school or college age and work for me."  That's how I feel sometimes; like a mom.  I love this group of kids, but sometimes they drive me absolutely crazy!  I'm under the impression that is the essence of motherhood.

They each have their unique personality, quirks, strengths and weaknesses.  Even if I don't remember the schedule, I can usually tell who closed just by the signature their work leaves. They forget a lot and don't always do things the way they are supposed to (and there are consequences for that).  These kids have come to learn when I say I will do something that means I will.  When I tell them I will take money out of their tip jar for a lousy closing job, I do it!  And I put it where they can see it.  Of course, they can earn it back by doing a good job.  I just want them to know I mean what I say.  Don't worry, I'm not all discipline!  We have fun too!

And while they make mistakes (sometimes BIG ones), I still enjoy working with them.  And when people are rude to them, or disrespect them, it makes me furious.  Youth does not equate stupidity, so I don't understand why customers can be so condescending to these hard-working, fun-loving kids!  One woman went so far as to accuse my employees of being thieves!  I won't tolerate that!  I can yell at them, but you sure as heck can not!  More on that story tomorrow.

These guys will come in to work on a moment's notice, trade shifts to help each other out, and come in to just hang out when they are bored or tired of school.  I don't know how many restaurants can say their employees will come to work for fun, or work for free just to hang out with their co-workers.  We have a great family here, and I am really proud to be the "mom." 

No comments:

Post a Comment